Linda Garrett
Linda Garrett,
Experience:  Owner at Self
75966804

I have two Shetland ponies and they both have bother with

Hello, I have two Shetland ponies and they both have bother with laminitis and so are on restricted grazing. Today I noticed that one of their hooves are all white on the insides and really not looking good at all
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Shetland pony?
Customer: Is there a way I can send a photo of their hooves to you?
JA: Where does the Shetland pony seem to hurt?
Customer: It’s their hooves
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Yes, the undersides are all white and horrible looking. Is it possible to send you a photo?
JA: Is the Shetland pony eating normally?
Customer: He is on restricted grazing but being fed soaked hay and some laminitis friendly food, his appetite does not seem to be effected
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the Shetland pony's name and age?
Customer: No, he is eating fine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Shetland pony?
Customer: He has suffered with laminitis this year but was recovering well

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can assist with your concerns today.

It would be great if you could attach a photo.

So, right now, is the pony walking comfortably? When was the last time you had a farrier trim the feet?

I can tell you that you can have all kinds of changes in the feet when you are dealing with laminitis ( even subclinical ), & it can take months to manifest. I have a small herd of minis, many I adopted because of chronic laminitis. Some have pretty horrible looking feet, but with the help of a good farrier, I keep everyone pretty comfortable.

I will look for your picture(s).

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (ZZV7LL4)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
There’s a photo for you. He was walking funny today, sort of going sideways, but I wasn’t sure if that was to do with how the wind and rain was blowing, the weather has been so awful for the past couple of days here in Shetland.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
They were last seen by the farrier on the 25th August, I have also sent him a photo of the hoof. He is due to come on Thursday to see them again but I also wanted a vets opinion

I wonder if he has a bit of thrush in the sole, but other than that, I think the farrier can trim a lot of that up. So, I do not think this is too horrible, I certainly have seen far worse. It is difficult for me to really tell, but it looks like he may have a bit of white line disease, going on too. Again, your farrier should be able to trim some of this out.

At this point, let's see what the farrier has to say & then if you like, we can discuss this further.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don’t have a stable for my ponies as normally they stay out all year, I’m worried I’ll need to dry out his hooves but I’m unsure how to do this without a stable

That's OK. If they are not continuously standing in wet, boggy conditions ( yes, I understand it is raining ), & as long as you can clean out the feet daily, they should be fine. You could use a protective, like Kohnke's hoof seal, but again, let's wait & see what the farrier says

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much for all your help, it’s so so appreciated

You are so welcome. Please consider leaving a rating as this is the only manner in which I can receive credit from the site. This thread will stay open to you for a week, so please let me know how things go.

Take care & stay well.