Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog has a really sore paw. It has been like this for a

Hello, My dog has a really sore paw. It has been like this for a while and has been prescribed cream, however it is not getting better. It is worse when he goes to the river and I believe he probably licks the cream off!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Rolo, 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rolo?
Customer: No
Hello, this is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for over 20 years and I will be happy to assist you today. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. We can continue this whole session here on this platform.I am here to provide relevant information and assistance for your concerns. . This discussion will be limited however by lack of a physical examination.I would like to start with some questions to better understand your situation. Has there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating? Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of ? If you can send pictures of any changes for me to review it will be most helpful.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No changes in that, t hough changes in walking as it causes him to be slow. I've attached a photo
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry, to note, he hasn't been to the vet for this. My mum just used a cream he was using for his sore arm
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Don't think it helps
This is the only part of the paw that has been a problem? How long has it been like this ? What type of cream was used ?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Isaderm was the cream used. The only bit of the paw that is like that and it has been like that since the middle of July
Does it ever swell up or have any fluid discharge?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't know that it ever swells as such, though sometimes he limps because of it. Currently, it does look like it's a bit dischargy.
That product has some anti bacterial properties and also some anti inflammatory too. The concern is that there may be more of an infection under the surface. This is why it does not totally go away and that it keeps weeping a bit also. This would benefit greatly by being seen at a clinic for potential systemic antibiotics and anti inflammatories. The follow mah be looked at topically to help until can be seen.
allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize the skin to get to higher levels, then this will set up these small areas of infection/inflammation. There is a shampoo called DuoxoPyo Shampoo, that contains Chlorhexidine. You can let this sit on the area for 10 minutes, this will clean the skin and start to kill the yeast and bacteria. Phytosphingosine will also help with some anti-inflammatory properties too and allow the skin to feel les itchy and irritated. It is best to leave the shampoo on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off. The pads can be used to wipe areas and the spray works well to cover larger areas too.
These other items below have the same ingredients and can be used to keep the area clean. They may also be helpful to apply to the region.
These items can be found online like at Amazon it may be found at pet stores too.Dúoxo Pyo pads
Duoxo pyo shampoo
Duoxo pyo sprayTo start can clean the area with dilute Chlorhexidine, this can be found at the pharmacy, it may go by the name Hibiclens.
This can be found over the counter also. You may also
want to soak the paw in the chlorhexidine also.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok, so perhaps I should try that before taking him to the vets
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your help!
You can always start with that first. If the condition does not resolve then moving onto a visit at a clinic may be most helpful.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay, thank you!
It has been my pleasure assisting you today. Have a fantastic day. Dr Mike