How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 50768
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

He ate some dark chocolate whole, but seems fine right now,

This answer was rated:

He ate some dark chocolate whole , but seems fine right now
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A border collie he weighs about 20kg
JA: The Expert will know if the Border Collie will be able to digest that. What is the Border Collie's name and age?
Customer: Koa and he is 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Koa?
Customer: Nope

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Koa would have needed to ingest 1/2 - 2/3 (depending upon the cocoa %) ounce per kg of bodyweight to intoxicate himself with the theobromine in chocolate; vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion. That would be equivalent to ~10+ ounces for a dog of his size and so he'll remain safe. As with ingesting anything unusual, gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea might arise. It should be transient, however, and not need treatment. There's no need to induce emesis nor treat in any manner.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It was 75% dark chocolate and he probably ingested ~3oz. Sounds like he is probably fine given he isn't showing any symptoms right now though?

Correct! At that % he would have needed to ingest ~10 ounces to be in trouble. He might appear a bit jittery (think caffeine!) but will remain safe. Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

10, not 15 ounces...mea culpa

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok sounds good thanks for your help!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Dr. Michael Salkin and 5 other Vet Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.