Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

She’s sneezing constantly, and holding her mouth open.

She’s sneezing constantly, and holding her mouth open. Making a strange rasping sound.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lola
JA: How old is Lola?
Customer: she’s 4 years ild
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?
Customer: she is a little anxious at the best of times

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Has Lola ever had any similar issues in the past?

Is her breathing rate 30 breaths/minute or less?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Lola has never had any health issues at all. I can’t tell how many breaths a minute as sneezing or rasping (like she is going to sneeze) interrupts her breathing.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.

So can I confirm she is sneezing almost constantly?

When did this begin?

Does she go outside?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
she goes outside. It just started about 20 minutes ago. I just paid £16 for a phone call!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (G736ZMZ)

You should not have been charged for any phone call as it was not accepted on my end. If you were mistakenly charged, customer services will be able to refund you promptly. If you specifically want a call, this is not an issue and I will opt out s a vet who can make calls can be in touch. Would this work best for you?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I just need some help. I’ve sent a video. She has calmed down somewhat.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It’s like she breathes in then the sneezing rasping happens on her outward breath.

Thank you for such a clear video, that is really useful.

It's good her mouth is no longer open and her breathing seems settled and slow.

These are not obvious sneezes and while they could certainly indicate nose/throat discomfort, they almost look like hiccups.

The fact things have settled so quickly is a very good sign.

It may be something as simple as an irritation from dust / smoke or something she sniffed in. It is also possible that something tickled her throat or got lodged, such as a blade of grass.

I would see if she would eat something bland like a bit of chicken or fish and continue to watch her.

I would hope and expect things continue to improve rapidly.

Monitor closely for open mouth breathing, distress, nasal discharge, coughing etc.

I am online so do feel free to keep me updated if anything changes or the behaviour continues.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. She did eat Her kibble while this was happening earlier. I’ll keep an eye on her.

It's especially reassuring she can eat and swallow without difficulty and has kept the food down.

I understand it must be very worrying for her to act in this manner and it is important we keep a close eye. However, I'm hopeful she will continue to improve quickly.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you Linda. Much appreciated.

Very happy to help and all the best to Lola; she is gorgeous by the way!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you! She’s actually playing with my husband now. Just a little perturbed when she ‘hiccough she as it were.

That's a good sign! Bless her, she probably had a bit of a shock but hopefully she is feeling a lot more like her normal self now.

Hi there, how is Lola getting on? Hopefully back to normal.

If you don't mind, could I ask that you rate the answer by selecting the stars at the top f the screen? A 5 star review is always appreciated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi there, we took her to a vet today. She had quite a temperature so they prescribed antibiotics. We are taking her back in the morning to have it taken again. She is still rasping with occasional sneezing. She's not distressed or anything. I'm hoping the sneezing will dislodge whatever is giving her problems. She has realised that if she keeps her mouth slightly open she doesn't sneeze so much. Thank you so much. This morning she is hardly sneezing.
Thank you for this updated and I'm glad to hear she is doing better.
I would wonder if there may be a foreitn body such as a grass seed which has lodged and caused an abcsess given the fever but hopefully the body breaks it down or, as you say, it dislodged.