Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My now 10 year old collie /lab cross female dog, (can't

Hi, my now 10 year old collie /lab cross female dog, (can't bring myself to use, "b****"), ran onto a blackened branch of a Bush of some kind while running free on a moor five years ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the collie?
Customer: Hi forgot about "return" does send. Then I was quite a long way into providing details ad message disappeared. I intend to go offline temporarily, compose the message elsewhere and come back to cut & paste.. Don't wait up!, and thanks. *****: Is the collie bleeding a lot?
Customer: It needs some explanation and some history. Trust me.
JA: What is the collie's name?
Customer: Message to. Online vet about Penny.About 5 years ago, Penny, our cross, ran on to a branch of some kind of shrub while exercising on a Moor. The old bushes had been cut down and chewed by cows, sheep etc and were coated in that black surface which you probably recognise.
The branch entered hre a bit 2-3 inches below the end of her throat and penetrated parallel to the ground through the flesh between the skin and skeleton for about 4-5 inches. She must have pulled herself off because the wound when examined next day, was empty.
She had 2 operations by a local vet. The first was investigation and remedy and consisted of identifying the depth of the wound, making an incision at the other end and flushing the wound. We took her home next day with appropriate medication and I structions in flushing which we followed rigorously.
The second operation was to repair abscesses whic had developed in the wound.
On each occasion of visit we were advised that the contamination on the foreign body was probably microscopic and could take a very long time for the dogs body to expel.
This has been the case and when we changed vets a couple of years later the new practise agreed with that opinion. Neither vet considered that there was any infection.
Over the next few years, the amount of fluid being expelled has waxed and waned but never actually stopped. However more recently I have noticed an increase due to marks o. The carpet and I thought it would be an idea to try to quantify the amount.
My remedy was to take a 5-6yo tee shirt, remove the sleeves and slip thih over Penny's head with front legs through the sleeve holes. I also fixed a panty liner in the location of the wound and have been changing it 3 times in the day.
Today is my third day and I notice that the amount of fluid retained on the liner at each change covers an area of about 15-20 sq cm and the pad is quite heavily soiled and has a slight odour
Do you have any suggestions?Thank you, ***** *****
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the collie?
Customer: Hi, Pearl hope the missive has sufficient info for at least, discussion, I also recognise the fact that there will be a consultation fee and will be pleased to discuss prior to your response.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She's a very healthy dog. The "ungreediest", dog I've had in 45 years of colli crosses. Carries next to no fat. Exceptional well mannered and behaved. For interest sake, I provide musical therapy at about 30 nursing homes in the area, Penny comes with me and has no restraint. She is free to move around the residents and is adored everywhere.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I intend to sign off now and go to bed.I won't expect any reply before 10.00 am

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Thanks for your patience. Sorry to hear of this issue with Penny. In my opinion the ongoing discharge from the wound suggests one of two things either 1.) There is foreign material trapped in the wound causing ongoing inflammatory response and thus discharge or 2.) A structure such as a salivary gland or duct was perforated during the initial injury causing ongoing discharge of saliva into the wound causing a nine healing wound.

It sounds like you have give the would more than adequate opportunity to 'sort itself out'. Further exploration of the wound may need to be considered to assess the cause for the ongoing discharge, potentially a CT scan of the area could be very helpful in ruling out retained foreign material prior to embarking on further surgery, especially such a time since the initial injury. I would ask your vet about this possibility and to consider referring Penny for such an investigation.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice. Thank you for using JustAnswer, best wishes.