Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My hamster is not moving at all she was active last night On

hey My hamster is not moving at all she was active last night On her wheel and everything just now, i went to look at her, and she is like a statue
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your hamster. What is your hamster's name and age?
Customer: its a dwarf hamster called azula about 9 months
JA: What is the hamster's name?
Customer: azula
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Azula?
Customer: not really, she has been eating fine and drinking fine she pees alot, but i change the area she pees every 2/3 days ^^like it can get very messy where she pees
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I touched her a bit to see if she would move, and she is absolutely still
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
her body is stuck in the one position
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
Is her chest moving up and down and can you hear her breathe if you listen closely?
Are her eyes open or closed?
Does she feel warm or cold?
Will she move if you pinch her toes?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
hi, thanks,I've picked her up to see if her chest moves, I cant see her chest move at all, nor can i hear breathing (but there is construction happening which makes that hard)
Her eyes are open
She does not feel particularly cold
She does not move at all when i pinch her toes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
she dosnt feel stiff, however, her body is completely still
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.
Unfortunately if there are no chest movements and she has not moved at all I am very sorry to say she may well have passedaway suddenly. Sadly, this is not uncommon in these little guys as they can seem well one minute and then very unwell the next. They are masters at hiding illness.
While we may consider hibernation, those that are hibernating usually only do so when the weather gets colder and will still be breathing with chest movements.
If she has recently died, she won't become stiff or cold for a few hours.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you very much, it does seem like she has just died
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I just dont see how, she was fine, and, I cant remember interacting with her earlier today, but i changed her water this morning
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i would have noticed somethingIf she is hibernating, is there someting i can do to make sure?
I do think that her dying is the most likely , sadly.
If she were hibernating she would usually move a little if touched in sensitive spots such as the whiskers and feet. There should also be at least some breathing (even if just one shallow breath a minute so do watch closely).
You could try warming the room and placing her on a hot water bottle covered with a thick towel to see if warming her changes anything.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, thank you very much for your help
Absolutely and I'm sorry I couldn't give better news. Any further questions, please just let me know.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thanks, ***** ***** been construction happening in a room close to here, but there is no evidence of any dust comming through,if there was a dust issue, could this have killed her suddenly?and can i / should i bring her to a vet for an autopsy?
For dust to have caused an issue such as a pneumonia or asthma, it would be visible/detectable so I wouldnt think thks was an issue.
Most owners would not do an autopsy as it is quite expensive but if you specifically want a reason as to why she had passed you could certainly request this from your local vet.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you very much
Not at all and take care.
Thank you for the kind accept as well as the bonus; very much appreciated.