Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 12 year old whippet with arthritis over the last

hello i have a 12 year old whippet with arthritis over the last week he has gotten really stiff with his movement and he yelps with every moves he makes and is obviosly in a lot of pain , he really needs to be seen by someone as i think hes really suffering and needs help with pain relief
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Whippet's name?
Customer: dexter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?
Customer: i think his eyesight is going and hes had a few weird dos where he stands still in one spot staring into nowhere looking confused and hes desperately looking for for something thats not there
Hi there, you are through to Dr LindaI'm very sorry to hear this about Dexter.
I absolutely agree that a vet visit is needed so we can assess his general health and determine which medication would be appropriate.
Due to his age, it would be sensible to take a blood test first to ensure there are no underlying liver or kidney issues.
If the problem is determined to be arthritis, we typically start some non steroidal anti inflammatories such as Meloxicam and perhaps some stronger pain relief such as Gabapentin and/or Tramadol.
If needed (though unlikely in a whippet!) weight loss can help take pressure off joints and you may consider daily joint supplements such as Yumove , though these offer no pain relief.
Adjunctive therapies such as hydrotherapy and canine massage may also be helpful.
You will need to call your local branch to schedule the appointment directly. If unsure of their number , send me your post code and I can find out.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
my local pdsa just diverts to bradford for emergencys only ,, please advise
my post code is hd4 6lh
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
cant talk at min too upset
Don't worry about the phone call requests, the website sends these automatically.
I completely understand why you would be upset and hopefully we can help significantly with the right medicine.
Your nearest clinic is Calder vets and they can be reached at 01484 429404
If you specifically wanted to go to the PDSA, I would class this as an emergency as he is in discomfort so needs to be seen and treated urgently. They should be able to see you if you explain his symptoms.