Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My GSd has ear mites, I use Surolan and need a prescription,

my GSd has ear mites, I use Surolan and need a prescription
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: German Shepherd Dog
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the German Shepherd Dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the German Shepherd Dog's name and age?
Customer: He is 11 years old and his name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kane?
Customer: he has hip dysplasia and is an anxious dog hence why i don't want to have to transport him to the vets
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based small animal vet.
Just to make you aware, no online vet is allowed to issue prescriptions or prescription medicine.
If he truly hsd ear mites (small white moving bugs that look like dots within the canal and lots of dark 'coffee granule ' wax) a non prescription drop such as Otodex from Pets at Home should cure them. If you already get a spot on for parasites from your pet such as Advocate , this should also treat them.
However, adult dogs are not commonly affected by mites, certainly not on multiple occasions and I would be more suspicious that Kane may have a bacterial or fungal infection.
I appreciate why you would rather not take him to the vets but it is important to have his ears checked to get the right diagnosis. We should rule out an underlying issue such as a growth within the ear or a foreign body like a foxtail / grass seed, and it is important we ensure his ear drum is intact. Applying drops when the ear drum is ruptured can be risky.
It is also a good idea to have the ears professionally cleaned so the medicine can work best.
Ideally, the vet would swab the ear and examine it under a microscope to see what is in there. Certain infections require specific drops.
Those who are in pain or have narrowed or very sensitive ear canals often benefit from pain relief and anti inflammatory medication too.
If he is difficult to get drops into , you may wish to enquire about a drop called osurnia that is applied once a week for 2 weeks in the clinic, meaning you don't have to wrestle with him twice a day.
If you feel you specifically want Surolan, you could request a repeat prescription from your vet and they may be able to dispense it, depending on when he was last seen and his medical history. However, for the reasons listed above it is best to have him seen if at all possible.
All the best to Kane and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions.