Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our rabbit is unusually subdued and not eating. He was fine

Our rabbit is unusually subdued and not eating. He was fine this morning but now just sits still.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about 3 1/2. His ears are up and he sits still
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sky?
Customer: He is up to date with his vaccinations

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

I'm sorry to hear Sky is not himself today.

How long has it been since he ate?

Any other symptoms such as diarrhoea, fast breathing, a cough or runny eyes?

Would he allow you to check him over for any issues such as a slobbery chin, laceration or loose poo around his bum?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
He ate his pellets at 8:00 this morning and has been on grass all day. Breathing and eyes are fine. No sign of diarrhoea. His bottom is clean and there are no lacerations there. No other symptoms apart from lathargiy and not interested in eating or drinking.

Thank you for this information.

I appreciate he may have been eating grass, but a noticeable reduction in appetite is always a concern.

As a rule of thumb, not ingesting any food for 4 hours or more is a red flag and deemed an emergency.

We are so cautious about this in bunnies as they are prone to a condition called 'gut stasis' when not eating, which means the gut fills with gas and water/food and bloats up, causing potential death.

I would advise an emergency vet check to assess Sky and determine why he has stopped eating. There will always be a reason and it may be e.g. overgrown teeth, a bladder infection etc. We need to address this.

We also need to prevent gut stasis from setting in, which usually means providing fluids, syringe feeding a liquid diet and providing e.g. pain relief and gut stimulant medicine.

If at all possible, I would be going to the nearest emergency vet right away.

Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically, I am happy to talk via typing.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you. Sky has just eaten some apple and has had a drink. We spoke to our vet and will ring them again if we have further concerns.

That's great news, thank you so much for letting me know and please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have. All the best to Sky for a speedy recovery.