Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 6 year old mini rex who was taken to the vet this

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 6 year old mini rex who was taken to the vet this morning as she had been shaking her head a lot at the weekend. The vet saw that she had lots of wax in her ear and got rid of some of it. She thinks it’s ear mites... but it’s only in the inner ear canal and my rabbit has had lots of previous respiratory issues as she has snuffles. Do you think it could be an ear infection? Also she is now holding the ear at a different angle since the vet removed the wax build up. Is it common for a rabbit to hold their ears differently after getting crusty wax removed from it?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the Mini Rex vomited recently? Any signs of blood in her stool?
Customer: no rabbits cannot vomit
JA: What's the Mini Rex's name?
Customer: its Winnie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 8 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Winnie has this issue.
Ideally, the vet would have examined the discharge under a microscope, as they would have then been able to tell you if the issue was mites, a bacterial infection or something else.
What treatment has she been given?
She may be holding the ear differently if it is a little uncomfortable but this shouldn't last long.
Does she have any issues with balance or walking?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’m not sure if the vet examined with a microscope as I wasn’t allowed in the room due to Covid-19 precautions. She didn’t say if she had used a microscope. She recommended Xeno spot on 450 for Winnie’s ears as treatment for potential mites infestation (which is what she suspects it is, but she said she didn’t see any mites) but said that it also could potentially be a bacterial infection, and that she will call on Friday to discuss more with me. She doesn’t currently have any issues with walking or balance. Could an ear mite infection exist only in the inner ear?
I understand, everything has been made a little more difficult due to these 'remote' consults.
If the vet is suspicious of mites, this is the most likely diagnosis as there is usually quite characteristic wax. The treatment should hopefully start to work quickly.
Mites live in the canal which is classed as the outer ear and this is where we see the wax. The inner ear is behind the ear drum and not visible. Mites would not be in there.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 2 day ago.

Hi there, how is Winnie getting on?