RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My tortoise, i, his top lip is more over hanging than his

Customer Question

My tortoise, i
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the tortoise's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: his top lip is more over hanging than his brothers? i haven’t fed the, I haven’t fed them for about 2 weeks as we have started the hibernation process and I know they usually grind it on food and the fish stone thing they have. Will this continue to grow in hibernation and cause him a problem?
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the tortoise also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: they both seem fine, I am bathing them daily too as this is supposed to help digest their food and drink as much as possible before they hibernate for a few months
JA: Does the tortoise seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: he is called Messi and is roughly 4/5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Messi?
Customer: He is a marginated tortoise
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 11 days ago.
Hi there,
Often tortoises can get an overgrown Beak. This can make the upper jaw appear as if it is over lapping they lower. It does not usually cause them any pain but can cause difficulty eating if it becomes very long. I would recommend this is dremelled (filed) prior to hibernation. We usually advise a vet check for a health check prior to hibernation anyway. It is advisable to check a faecal sample to look for any parasites prior to hibernating. The vet can attend to the over grown beak at this time also. As their metabolism is virtually halted during hibernation, it is unlikely to continue to grow whilst asleep but I would advise having it checked first. It is important not to hibernate for too much of a prolonged period as well as to check the weight regularly during hibernation.
Dr Coles