RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

He is a dumbo eared rat. After giving him a bath last night

Customer Question

He is a dumbo eared rat. After giving him a bath last night he is now leaning to one side and not trying to walk.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rat?
Customer: My daughter accidentally trimmed his whiskers a bit
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 13 days ago.
Hello there,
Sorry to hear about your rat. Leaning to one side and loss of balance can be symptoms of an ear infection. Ear infections are common in rats. I would advise keeping him somewhere warm and quiet to ensure he doesn’t become hypothermic. I would contact your local vet ASAP for an appointment as he likely will need antibiotics and anti- inflammatories. I would also offer him some foods such as baby food and Treats to encourage him to eat.
Dr Coles
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He won't eat. He can't pick his head up.

Then it is even more important that you contact a vet ASAP as antibiotics and anti inflammatories can only be prescribed after the pet is examined. If he can't pick his head up he is very sick. You can use a syringe to syringe feed him with baby food to ensure he doesn't become hypoglycaemic but this won't treat the underlying illness. It is unlikely anything related to trimming the whiskers.