Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has bad teeth, About three months, Albert, he is a

Customer Question

My dog has bad teeth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the dog had this dental problem?
Customer: About three months
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Albert, he is a Chihuahua
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He has had some removed previously, but the problem is back
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 14 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Albert has bad teeth, I appreciate this must be a concern.

How exactly can I help today?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
As this is an ongoing problem, would it be beneficial if Albert had us remaining teeth removed???

Any tooth that is diseased and causing pain does need to be removed. Once the tooth gets to a certain point, there will be no saving it.

Healthy teeth should not be removed. Rather, we should aim to maintain them in good health by tooth brushing, feeding hard kibble rather than soft food, feeding a dental diet such as Hills T/D and using products such as Logic Gel to minimise plaque levels.

If it is the case that all of Albert's teeth are beyond saving the, absolutely, it is better for him to have them removed.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We would like him to have treatment from the PDSA
Ok, sure. You would need to contact your local branch directly to have him booked in. You are very welcome to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have. Hopefully we get Albert's teeth sorted soon.
To reassure you, it is relatively common for Chihuahuas to have dental issues due to the small size of their mouth and many will need several dental procedures during their lifetime.