DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+yrs Exp in vet care. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice
20798050

My cat has been throwing up for the last 3 days she is sick

Customer Question

my cat has been throwing up for the last 3 days she is sick mainly after eating she is sick when she is throwing fur balls up but she is throwing up with out fur balls and it’s leaving yellow marks on my carpet her nose is hot and dry
JA: I'm so sorry the cat isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: no she has not been going out and she is just wanting to sit near me or on my knee
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Tilly she is about 10 or 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: don’t think so but she gets restless a bit and she doesn’t seem to be sleeping as much as she did
Expert:  DocPaul replied 13 days ago.

Hello there. I am Dr.Paul Brazzell, and I am delighted to help you today.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with your pet; I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you.

Talking by phone allows me to give a more accurate and rapid assessment of the problem. The more information I have, the better the job I can do.

Please let me know when you are ready to begin.

Expert:  DocPaul replied 13 days ago.

Good morning! I am very pleased to meet you.

How many times has she vomited?

And she does vomit up hairballs sometimes?

Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

Without the information I requested, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

It is important to know that hairballs are not a disease but rather a clinical sign. They almost always indicate an underlying problem, such as delayed gastric emptying, inflammatory bowel disease, or gastric ulceration. As such, we must find out what the underlying problem is here to treat this and prevent it from happening again. I would recommend taking Tilly in for an examination and possibly abdominal x-rays or ultrasound. At the same time, you can discuss some of the aforementioned treatment options and the possible underlying causes for the vomiting.

Medications to increase stomach emptying, hypoallergenic diets, and gastroprotectants are just some of the options. In the interim, you can give 1 inch of a gel hairball remedy twice daily.

Please get back to me with additional details so that I can assist you further.

Dr. Paul Brazzell