Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog has kidney issues and I need some help interpreting

Customer Question

Hi my dog has kidney issues and I need some help interpreting his last blood test
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: he has had kidney issues for about 3 months. He is on benazecare, as well as phosphate binders
JA: Is he taking any medications?
Customer: benazecare and phosphate binder
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: eddie, he is 14
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: His sdma is normal but his urea is really high. I understood that in kidney disease both should be high, and I just need to know what that means
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this issue with your dog. Could you attach the latest blood results for him and I will have a look for you?

To interpret these results we need a result for both his urea and creatinine in addition to the SDMA. We also need a phosphate level and a urine sample analysis as a minimum.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (16PQT3G)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi i have just uploaded his most recent tests
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
In April his creatine was 106, in July it was 178 and now it is 155
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
In April his urea was 11, then 22 in July and now 45. The vet said his sdma in april was 19
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for the further information.

We can see that SDMA and urea are both elevated. Creatinine is within the nornal range for the lab, but a level of over 120 in a dog is consistent with renal disease. In dogs with low muscle mass, creatinine often does not elevate as high as we might expect.

We do not have a result for his phosphate, this is important to monitor his response to phosphate binder therapy.

We also need a urine analysis to confirm kidney disease and to check for protein levels to monitor his response to treatment with benazepril (we need to see if benazepril is lowering the protein levels in his urine from pre treatment levels.

The results are consistent with kidney disease but a urine analysis is vital if not recently performed.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it seems his urea is going up but his sdma has reduced from 19 to 17 though? Is that normal?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

There can be some fluctuation in the SDMA, so it is not necessarily a prognostic indicator.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have been using sdma and creatine levels via the iris stages so that would suggest he is still in stage 1 as it id below 18, however I am just concerned that his urea is so high
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Have we had a recent urine sample analysis?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
not since april
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

OK. I would definitely recommend getting a urine sample rechecked including a urine protein to creatinine ratio to see if the benazepril is reducing protein loss in urine.

Urea can come from other sources, such as digestion of blood in the gastrointestinal tract in the case of gastrointestinal bleeding. I notice that Eddie is quite anaemic - not something we would expect from stage 1 or 2 renal disease. I would want to check that this blood is not being lost in his urine or faeces.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
great that is really helpful thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He did have Acute hemorrhagic diarrhea syndrome (AHDS) but that was a couple of years ago
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He doesn't have any other symptoms like diarrhea or vomiting, and he doesnt have a fever. He has an excellent appetite
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

OK. It may be worth considering a Faecal occult blood test as chronic gastrointestinal bleeding can sometimes not be readily apparent. It is good that he has a good appetite.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That is quite useful, thank you, ***** ***** do that
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

You're welcome. Please feel free to keep me updated.