Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My miniature jack rustle was standing weirdly like she was

Customer Question

Hello, my miniature jack rustle was standing weirdly like she was in pain and then walked weird, she has a massive lump in her bum and it looks all mucusy and now she has a really high temperature
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Miniature jack rustle
JA: When did you first notice the animal had this lump?
Customer: Today She was fine yesterday but when I came home from work I noticed her acting weird and that’s when I saw it
JA: What's the animal's name and age?
Customer: Mo, she is 8 years older old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She never grew very much and is just abit bigger than a hand
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Mo. Can you upload photos of this lump to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is that enough for you to see? She really didn’t like that she seemed to be in a late of pain

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

The excellent photos appear to reveal a large anal sac gland abscess. This will need to be opened, flushed with an antimicrobial solution, debrided (devitalized tissue removed), packed with an antimicrobial ointment, and a systemic antibiotic prescribed for 5-7 days. The wound is left open to drain.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is it an emergency shall we get her to the vets now because our vets are closed or is it safe to leave until tomorrow? If there’s any chance it is an emergency I will find a vets today

Mo isn't an emergent patient but she might think so because these are quite painful. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin (Bayer, generics) dosed at 10 mg per pound of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, generics) which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you very much for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.