RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I have a gecko and I think it has tail rot. Only noticed it

Customer Question

Hi I have a gecko and I think it has tail rot.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the gecko had this tail rot?
Customer: Only noticed it the last couple of days.
JA: What type of food does the gecko normally eat?
Customer: Repashy and also live food locusts.
JA: What's the gecko's name and age?
Customer: Barbs. I think it is about a year old roughly
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Nope. Eating sleeping climbing all fine.
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 8 days ago.

What type of gecko do you have?

I am sorry to hear she is having problems. Tail rot can definitely affect geckos and causes the tip of the tail to die off and become necrotic. Sometimes the tail tip has to be amputated to prevent further spread. It is also possible it is related to trauma or injury (for example bashing the tail, or a bite). I would advise gently cleaning the tail tip with dilute iodine (betadine) but be careful not to hold the tail too tight. I would also recommend bathing her daily in reptoboost to ensure she stays hydrated. This must be rinsed off the skin after use or can cause bacterial infections to worsen. It is important to book an appointment with your vet as she likely will require antibiotics and pain killers to be prescribed and may require surgery.

Kind regards,

Dr Coles