RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

She has a skin infection, Golden doodle 2 years old 21kg,

Customer Question

she has a skin infection
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Golden doodle 2 years old 21kg
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about the infection yet? How long has this been going on with the Golden Doodle?
Customer: Yes, they prescribed antibiotics but too expensive
JA: And what's the Golden Doodle's name and age?
Customer: Piper 2 in May
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No thats all
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 7 days ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear Piper is having problems with her skin. Skin infections can often be due to underlying allergies or skin irritation. Skin infections can be very itchy and cause quite a lot of distress with this itching. Often systemic antibiotics are required if the infection is severe, which need to be prescribed by a vet who has examined piper. Topical treatments can also be used if the infection is less severe, for example Ceva Douxo pyo antiseptic shampoo three times weekly. This can help to reduce bacteria on the skin surface. Often other types of medications are required alongside antibiotics, which help to reduce inflammation in the skin and itching. Topical treatments such as steroid sprays and antibacterial creams such as dermisol or fucidin can be used on the affected areas. The time taken to prescribe the antibiotics includes the time the vet has taken to examine Piper, come to a diagnosis, consider and discuss options as well as dispense antibiotics. I would advise having pet insurance to pay for these types of problems if costs are a concern to you.

Kind regards,

Dr Coles