Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Shes14 years old she has no fleas or anything she's biting

Customer Question

Shes14 years old she has no fleas or anything she's biting and scathing her bottom of tail and back bottom made herself bleed and legs she is iratable and don't know what to do for the best
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Staff cross whippet
JA: How badly is the Whippet bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: 2 weeks ago but the leeding is stopped and scabbed over on back
JA: What's the Whippet's name?
Customer: Starlea I'm new here
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Yes she's got 2 big lumps on the side of her belly
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 8 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Starlea has this problem.
When did i1
Has she ever had skin issues before?
Does she have any stiffness or sore joints?
Would you be able to send a clear photo?

Without any answers, it is tricky for me to provide you with the best advice possible; though I will certainly try!

It would be great if you could write back so that I can tailor the advice to Starlea and we can be sure we are on the right track.

Biting and scratching in this area can have a few causes:

• An anal gland issue such as an impaction or infection. While Whippets are not often affected with anal gland issues, they do happen. It would be wise to have the glands assessed to ensure they are not overly full or infected. Dogs cannot typically reach the glands so will instead chew their rump/tail.

Joint disease causing discomfort in this area. At her age, arthritis is likely. For some, this will occur in the lower spine/pelvic/hip region. It would be worth having her assessed for joint disease as she may well benefit from some pain relief & anti-inflammatory medicine.

• A flea allergy. I appreciate you have not seen fleas on her and, to be fair, if she has never had a flea allergy before it would be less common for her to develop one at this age.However, the area she is biting is characteristic of a flea allergy. Often, we do not actually see any fleas as the dog has eaten them. For those with allergies, one bite is enough to trigger the inflamed skin. If she is due a flea treatment, there would be no harm in giving it. Give a strong medicine such as Advocate. Do also treat any other pets & the home (use a flea spray, hot wash bedding etc).

Regardless of what has triggered this new behaviour, is the skin broken, scabby, red or weeping? As it has been bleeding, I suspect it may well be. Due to this, we need to let it heal to resolve the issue. This usually entails some anti-itch medicine to break the itch scratch cycle and a medicated wash. Those with bacterial infections will need a course of antibiotics. Until the itching ceases, a buster collar would be sensible.

Any further questions please let me know. Fingers crossed we can get on top of this soon for Starlea.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you ill try the spray see how she gets on if it does not stop then I think a vet needs to see her
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can't afford it sorry I'm on uc
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 7 days ago.
No problem at all. As you have sent the request for the phone call please do follow up with customer services to ensure this is not charged.
As the vet, I have no access to accounts so I do apologise I cannot help more with this matter.