Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My Yemen Chameleon does not look happy. Seemed and normal

Customer Question

My Yemen Chameleon does not look happy. Seemed and normal yesterday morning. Found him in the bottom of the vivarium in the afternoon in an unfamiliar hunched up position (as if he had fallen from a height). Picked him up and pit him back amongst the branches/vines, etc. Later in the evening found him hanging up by his tail. This morning he was lying on the floor of the vivarium which is unusual. Seemed to be struggling to do a poo. I set him back amongst the branches/vines, etc. Later found him hanging upside down again by his tail. Keeps trying to scratch the top/back of his head with front legs. Shed his skin a week ago approx. Does not appear to be any remnants of old skin left. I've had him for about 5/6 weeks. I'm generally happy with the vivarium set up. Everything seemed to be going well until now. Any ideas/advice would be welcome. Thanks.
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the scratching. What type of food does he normally eat?
Customer: Locusts, mealworms and waxworms.
JA: What's the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: He's called Charlie and I've had him 5/6 weeks. He was small when I got him and has grown significantly since.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Charlie?
Customer: I don't think so. I mist the vivarium twice a day as I'm at home.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm happy to wait for the vets response. Obviously the sooner I get a response the sooner I can do whatever is necessary to make my chameleon more comfortable/healthy.
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your patience, sometimes a vet isn't available. You're through to Dr. Edele, a European based vet. I have some questions to help best advise you.

Has he continued to eat normally?

Has he pooped yet?

What's the temp, humidity etc in his viv?

Have you changed substrate recently?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I didn't attempt to feed him yesterday as I was worried this might exacerbate the problem.He has eaten a few mealworms this morning.He pooped what appeared to be a fairly undigested waxworm and a waxworm skin. Not a normal poo.The viv set up, humidity and temparature all seems normal.Substrate has not been changed.This morning he has not climbed up to his normal basking spot. I notice also that the skin on the very top of his head (the peak bit) appears to be splitting and a black spot is showing (appears to be appearing from beneath the skin). Has this something to do with the attempted scratching?
It may be or it could possible be a burn if he got too close to his basking light. He may also be constipated so a warm bath with some electrolytes (like a sachet of dioralyte) to help with this. Could you send me some photos of the spot on his head?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'll try and get some photos to you.