Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My jack Russell who is one has chewed one of my patches I

Customer Question

My jack Russell who is one has chewed one of my patches I wear for pain relief it is transtec buprenorphine he is just crying and howling what should I do mypatch is 70 migrograms/h
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the Jack Russell Terrier weigh?
Customer: Not sure
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: No just crying and howling
JA: What's the Jack Russell Terrier's name?
Customer: Stan
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Stan. That's a significant overdose of buprenorphine for a dog his size. Its effect can be neutralized by having his vet dose with the antagonist nalaxone. The reversal effect may last for a shorter time than the opioid effect and so redosing may be needed; hence, it's best to hospitalize these dogs while they're being treated. Be sure to check if the vet hospital carries this drug before arriving. You may need to go to a veterinary ER, instead.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.