Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 1 yr old labradoodle. She’s suffered a bit from

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 1 yr old labradoodle. She’s suffered a bit from sore, gummy eyes. This time’s its come on with lots of sneezing and she seems to be trying to itch her eyes. Is there anything we can try without having to go in to a vet, every time we go in it seems it starts a series of appointments that costs more than we can afford. I want to do the right thing but would love to have some options. Thanks for your help. Karen
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the Labradoodle been eating and drinking normally? Have you taken her temperature?
Customer: Yes, eating fine. No, not taken temp, would not know how to do that
JA: When did this congestion start? Has the Labradoodle been licking or scratching her skin as well?
Customer: Perhaps 2 days ago and yes, perhaps a tiny bit but might just be normal.
JA: What's the Labradoodle's name?
Customer: Pippa
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No, that’s all
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 11 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Would you be able to send a clear photo of her eyes?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There is yellowish gunge, worse in the morning than now.
Thank you for this.
Can I confirm, she is not squinting and there is no increased redness?
Is she generally an itchy dog (e.g. does she lick her paws and rub her face)?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The face rubbing is new but I’ve only see her do it once this evening.
Ok, sure.
To confirm, she is well in herself and has no loss of appetite, breathing issues or cough?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not squinting and doesn’t look like they’re more red than normal
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No, nothing like that
Great. I'm just going to write my full reply which will take a few minutes.
We always need to be cautious when it comes to the eyes as there is a real risk of long term damage if not assessed and treated promptly.
If a dog has dry eye (lack of tears) or ulcers (corneal scratches) these can cause chronic, painful eyes and could result in vision loss if left untreated. As she has had this issue before, I would really want to rule these out. This usually means a 'schirmer tear test ' and 'fluorescein stain'. These tests are inexpensive and can be done by any GP vet.
Another thought woild be blocked tears ducts, so ideally the vet should check if this is the case and flush then if so.
Another consideration would be allergies. Dogs can be allergic to anything including grass, dust mites, food etc.
You could trial 4mg of Piriton every 12 hours to see if this helps.
Cleaning wise, use cooled boiled water and cotton wool to clean the discharge away 2-4 times a day.
Do not allow any rubbing as this will cause further irritation. A buster collar may be needed.
In summary, I would suggest a vet check and there are some interventions we can start at home.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks
Not at all. You are very welcome to keep me updated over the next few days and to ask any further questions you may have.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 7 days ago.

Hi there, how is Pippa getting on?