Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is unstable on his feet and off balance also off his

Customer Question

My cat is unstable on his feet and off balance also off his food and not moving much
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the cat's appetite?
Customer: This morning
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: I am not sure. He is meowing more than usual but it seems to be every time I walk away from him and if I pick him up and manipulate his limbs he does not seem to be wincing or hurting
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mitzy (but a boy) aged seven and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: When I pick himup or put him down its almost like his legs are paralysed but not completely but he is hardly moving, This has just happened since 5 this afternoon
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 11 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Mitzy has this issue.
To confirm, he was 100%normal yesterday?
Does he go outside and, if so, any chance of a fall or traffic accident?
Any exposure to a toxin such as a plant, human medicine, cleaning product or anti freeze?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No, he is an indoor cat nd has not been exposed to anything like that,
Good, thank you.
Has he been given any new food or treats?
Is he on any medicine?
Finally, would he allow you to check his ears for any discharge, redness or bad smell?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He has not eaten anything today and his food has not changed. He is not on any medicine and his ears are fine
My concern here is the loss of balance which is really unusual.
We might consider low blood sugar, abnormal salt levels or dehydration but it would take several days of not eating for this to occur in an older cat.
Thus, I would worry something more sinister is going on such as a stroke, high blood pressure, inner ear infection etc.
Given his symptoms, I would recommend bringing him to your nearest emergency vet if at all possible.
They will be able to examine him and may need to run some tests such as a blood test and a blood pressure check.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, how is Mitzy doing today?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He died in the night :(
Oh I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you are doing ok? That must have been a big shock.