Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our cat has come home, limping from his front left leg!

Customer Question

Our cat has come home, limping from his front left leg! Nothing in the pad but hissing and wants to be alone what shall we do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the cat's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: Nothing looks different and he was out all day yesterday and came home last night
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Felix & 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 4 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Felixstowe has this problem.
Is he able to put the paw down?
Any swelling or bleeding?
Is he otherwise well; breathing ok and able to eat?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can’t put the paw down.
No bleeding can’t notice any swelling
And eating and breathing ok
Thank you for this information.
I'm glad he seems otherwise well.
Just a moment as I type my advice.
As he can't put the paw down at all, this may be more than a simple twist or sprain.
If at all possible, I would bring him to the vet this morning.
The most likely scenario is a cat bite; these are very common, especially in younger males. They can be so painful that the cat will not bear weight. You may find a small puncture wound/scab but not always. Cats do require antibiotics as well as pain relief.
Another possibility with a non weight bearing lameness is a dislocation or fracture and the vet should be able to know if this has happened from checking the cat over. In some instances, xrays may be advised.
While we would sometimes take a wait and see approach to a limp, in this scenario (as he won't put it on the ground), I would have him seen.
I hope this is all ok? Please do feel free to ask any further questions and to keep me updated on how Felix gets on.