Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has what looks like a skin infection on her back, I

Customer Question

My dog has what looks like a skin infection on her back
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the infection yet? How long has this been going on with the dog?
Customer: I noticed that scratching her back made her a little uncomfortable last week but didn't see anything. My boyfriend noticed a brown sticky patch in that same spot yesterday
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly and she's 18
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She's acting totally fine and doesn't seem itchy
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 10 days ago.
Hi there , you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Has she had skin issues before?
Would it show up on a photo?
Is it the skin above her tail?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi! She's never had any skin issues before, and she's always been very clean! I'll send a photo through now; it is above her tail in a couple spots
Great, thank you. Once the photo comes through I'll let you know.
Any other signs such as rubbing her bottom along the floor or a fish smell?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (2T4PS77)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Nope it doesn't smell at all, and she isn't rubbing it anywhere. It's only when you touch it she looks pretty uncomfortable
Thank you, ***** ***** come through. I'm typing my reply which will take a few minutes
Unfortunately it is difficult to make things out due to the fur in the way. Certainly, there appears to be some fur thinning and discharge, as well as some darkened skin.
I agree there is likely and infection here. I would clip the fur to let the air at it and then clean twice daily with a dilute solution of chlorhexidine or salt water. Do not allow her to get at it at all; a buster collar may be needed.Having said this, there is usually a reason for an infection like this.
We should consider a flea allergy, blocked anal glands or perhaps local discomfort e.g. arthritis in the hips, which can lead dogs to chew or rub when not being watched.
Thus, it would be sensible to ensure her flea treatment is up to date and to check her anal glands are not full or infected. If unsure about the glands, a vet nurse or vet would be able to show you how to do this.
Given her age, if you have noticed any slowing down or stiffness,a joint check would be sensible. Many dogs this age have underlying arthritis and will benefit from some medicine for this.If cleansing along doesn't clear things, she may need a prescribed course of oral antibiotics from the vet. If we are still no better, we would consider swabbing or even sampling the area in case of anything more sinister.
Fingers crossed it clears soon and is not too uncomfortable for her!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you! She does have it in other little parts of her skin but this is the worst patch. I was wondering if it could potentially be mange as we live in an area that is rampant with wild foxes? She does have arthritis but it's under control at the moment; our vet said our appointment is next Thursday but we are a little worried that it will spread
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also am I able to use regular table salt with warm water?
Absolutely, mange is a possibility but we would typically see lesions on the ears and elbows and the itching would be intense, so it would be less likely.Yes, good old tae salt is just fine!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Right okay! Thanks for all the advice! Are there any other symptoms I should look out for? And now that I have this service, can I reach out at any time?
You can reach out an any time, this window stays open for about a week I think.
I would just ensure she is acting her normal self and is eating well.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks a lot! I will definitely reach out if anything happens in the meantime:)
Perfect! All the best.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hey! I just wanted to update you as we've noticed that Molly hasn't been herself since we cleaned her patch yesterday. She's vomited twice and is quite quiet which is not like her at all
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 9 days ago.
I'm sorry to hear this.
While infections can make dogs unwell in this manner, this would be quite unlikely and they would have to be widespread/severe.
Given her age, I would be very keen to have her checked over, especially as she is not herself.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Unfortunately the only time the vet is able to call us back is Monday and an appointment Monday isn't guaranteed:( is there anything we can do to at least make her more comfortable?
When an elderly dog is vomiting, the risk is low blood sugar, abnormal salt levels and dehydration.
We should try to keep her well hydrated and to get some food into her.
This may mean small meals of boiled chicken and rice little and often, as well as offering water frequently. You can even add warm water to the meal.
We should allow her to rest and minimise stress (loud noises, bright lights etc).Having said this, Monday is a long way away and if she is deteriorating, I would contact another vet sooner. Fingers crossed she perks up shortly.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks a lot, I'll give those a go!
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 8 days ago.
No problem!