Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has had a lump removed. We had it tested and received

Customer Question

My dog has had a lump removed. We had it tested and received the results. Having issue deciphering what something means. Can you help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Where on the dog's body is the lump? When did you first notice it?
Customer: it was on his toe, vet said removal went well.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tober he’s 5 diagnosed with apocrine ductile adenocarcinoma we’ll differentiated
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: My question is there’s a comment on the results that says: dogs with excised AACs that did not invade vasculature appear to have a relatively good prognosis l (30months median survival) confirmed distant metastatic rate of AACs appears to be very low 2% and it is associated with intravascular invasion
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Really my question is- does this mean my 5year old dog now has an estimated 3 yrs to live. He’s a cockapoo so I find that hard to believe. Also the vet didn’t explain any of this. She just said not to worry to much only 2% chance of it spreading and gave me the printed results! Please help, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload a copy of the biopsy report to our conversation, please? You can upload it as a .pdf or photograph it and upload it as an image. You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (1LMZP5G)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Page 2 of 3
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Page 1 of 3

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Tober's prognosis is excellent. Excision was complete with good margins. There was no evidence of either lymphatic or blood vascular invasion suggestive of metastasis. Please note that the median means that half of the dogs live less than 30 months while the other half live greater than 30 months. This report suggests that not only with Tober live greater than 30 months but is more likely not to have longevity affected negatively at all.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for clarifying, much appreciated

You're quite welcome. My best to Tober!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
please excuse my mistaking of average and median. My math teacher would be so disappointed! Thanks again you’ve given us a lot of relief. Take care

No worries!