Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My male cat (6 months old) had a pre-neutering check-up and

Hi, my male cat (6 months old) had a pre-neutering check-up and the vet believes he has a grade 2 heart murmur. He has having blood tests done and we will receive the results in the next week. Should we expect the worse?
JA: Hi there. The Expert will know how to help with the heart murmur. Does the cat ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: No, he doesn't go outside and is not taking any medications
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Rufus
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No. The cat is otherwsie fit and healthy
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply.
I'm sorry to hear you had this unexpected news today and appreciate it must be a concern.
Certainly, at this stage, I would not be fearing the worst.
Murmurs are garden from a 1 to a 6, so a grade 2 is a rather quiet murmur.
Assuming he has not been showing any signs of heart disease (lethargy, failure to thrive, quick breathing etc), it may not be as bad as you fear.
In fact, we sometimes detect quiet murmurs in young cats at this age and they will then grow out of them when older.
Similarly, some cats develop intermittent heart murmurs when stressed.
These are known as 'benign' heart murmurs and are of no danger to the cat.
Another consideration would be if he is anaemic (perhaps if he has fleas or worms), this can cause a murmur too.The next step would usually be a heart scan, so we can determine if there is anything to worry about. This is useful as some heart diseases have a better prognosis if medication is started early.For more information on heart murmurs, this website is very useful:
https://icatcare.org/advice/heart-murmurs-in-cats/Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
graded as not 'garden'
I do apologise for that typo
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much. That's allowed me to be a lot more objective about the situation and not spiral into despair. You really helped me. Whatever happens, we'll do everything we can for our wee kitty.

No problem at all. I understand your concern but, as I say, fingers crossed the news is not as bad as it seems. You are very welcome to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.

Hi there, how is Rufus getting on?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Linda. I'm so sorry, I only saw your message now. We heard back from the vet yesterday. They said there was nothing in the proBNP blood test that would indicate any underlying issue so that's a huge relief. Of course, we have to keep a wee eye on him but at the moment he's healthy and happy. I want to say a massive to you for your help. I wish you were our vet in Glasgow! Kind regards, ***** ***** Rufus
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
massive thank you
That's absolutely fantastic news! What a huge relief. Sending all my best to you and Rufus :)