Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a puppy Boston terrier who is tying to gag every now

Customer Question

Hi I have a puppy Boston terrier who is tying to gag every now and then
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the puppy had this choking? Is everything okay in terms of breathing?
Customer: She seems lively and breathing ok
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Bonnie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No my wife colllected her yesterday
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 10 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.
What age is she?
How long has this been going on?
Is she able to eat and swallow ok?
Any other symptoms such as drooling, noisy breathing, lethargy or a bloated abdomen?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is eating ok she is 9 and a half weeks
Started this afternoon no other symptoms

Thank you for this information.

When a dog is able to eat and swallow with no difficulty and is not showing signs of distress (such as pawing at the mouth or drooling), gagging does probably NOT indicate that they are choking on something or have something in their throat.

Similarly, if she is keen to eat and happy to play, nausea and a desire to vomit is also less likely (though not impossible).

More likely, this is an irritation /inflammation of the throat. We see this commonly in those with viral infection such as Kennel Cough.

Dogs with infections like this may have a gag / retch / dry cough intermittently for a few days that improves. They shouldn't have any other signs.

I would want to monitor her closely to ensure she remains well and doesn't develop any other symptoms such as vomiting, a loss of appetite etc.

I would also want to ensure she is up to date with her wormer and vaccines (I know given the current climate this has not always been easy).

How does this all sound?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Great thanks

No problem at all! Please do feel free to keep me updated. All the best with your new pup.

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 9 days ago.
Hi there, how is your puppy getting on?