Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has been very off the past few days and his ear seems

Customer Question

My dog has been very off the past few days and his ear seems to be bothering him, he is itching it an awful lot. He is eating and drinking fine so I was just wondering if you knew what it could be ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the dog been licking or rubbing the itchiness?
Customer: He has been itching it, he has now started crying as he itches it but he doesn’t cry when I touch it
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** he is 11 weeks old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Milo?
Customer: no everything else seems fine
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 7 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Milo is not himself.
It sounds like Milo likely has an ear infection. This can cause itching, head shaking and local redness and discharge.
Ear infections can be tremendously painful and often cause a change in behaviour, reduced appetite etc.
Though he doesn't cry when touched, some dogs are stoic and others dislike expressing pain to their owner, so I wouldn't let this fool you.
I would bring him to the vet tomorrow morning so they can examine the ear. They will ensure the ear drum is intact and will check for any growth (such as a polyp) or foreign body (such as a grass seed).
He will likely be given some pain relief and antibiotic drops and will hopefully be back to normal within a few days.Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou
Not at all.
You are very welcome to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 3 days ago.

Hello, how is Milo doing? Hopefully feeling a lot better?