Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat ate a decent amount of cooked chicken bone overnight,

My cat ate a decent amount of cooked chicken bone overnight, this morning she has been hiding and hisses if I touch her. What should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the chicken bone did the cat eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: Sure, one sec
JA: Has she thrown up since this happened?
Customer: I haven't seen any at the moment, although if she did it outside or under the bed I wouldn't have seen it. She at probably half or two thirds of a wing bone, difficult to say exactly as there were bites off of two or three separate ones. She is a medium/largish cat so I'm not sure how much she weighs
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Jessie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She is about 14 years old

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I should add that she has come out from under the bed and has eaten some wet food. I can't hear any wailing or sounds of pain, so I think that she may have just been scared if the cleaner who comes and does hoovering (they are both scared of each other)

Sorry to hear of this with Jessie. The concern with cooked bones is that they can splinter and become lodged in the throat, stomach or intestine. If she is showing signs of discomfort, vomiting and lack of appetite then she should be assessed by your vet straight away.

It's good to hear that she seems to be a little better, please do monitor her carefully for the rest of the day and do take her to your vet if concened.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, will do. Thanks very much

You're welcome.