Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

My dog has a large lump on her tummy which wasn’t bothering

Hi My dog has a large lump on her tummy which wasn’t bothering her so at the age of 13 I decided not to get it removed .two days ago i noticed it was red and had a sore on it which is getting bigger daily
JA: Hi there. Sometimes a lump is serious, but it can be hard to know for sure. Let's see what the Expert has to say. What's the dog's name?
Customer: Molly cryer I have pictures if I can send
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she is eating and drinking fine. She is licking the sore.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

I'd be happy to have a look on some pictures if you please send them

Have your vets done any kind of testing for this lump in the past?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No

Is there any chance you can attach some pictures?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Have you received the picture

No, sorry.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (SZZ7P5Q)

Perfect, received.

Based on the information you provided and having had a look at the picture, I strongly recommend Molly gets seen for a hands-on consult. She's definitely been licking the lump, looks burst and infected. My best recommendation would be to call your local vets and try to book an appointment today, as Molly will require antibiotics before we can do anything else with that lump. If you have a buster collar, please put it on as soon as possible, to try to keep Molly's mouth away from the wound, till she's seen.

In terms of further investigations (after we clear that infection), there are a few tests we can perform as vets to identify the nature of that tissue. The minimum invasive one is called FNA (fine needle aspirate), which basically in the consulting room the vet pops a needle into that lump, takes a tiny sample, and examines that on a slide under the microscope; unless it's a fatty lump or a very obvious "bad" news, this option gives us very limited information. The second option would be the biopsy, but it requires a General anesthetic; this option gives us enough information to know what type of structure we are dealing with and what's the next best step forward. The third option is called excisional surgery, basically, remove the lump and send it to the lab to be analyzed; this is also done under General Anesthesia.

Given the rapid growth of this lump, I would probably want to take things step-by-step: FNA > Biopsy > Surgically remove it (+/- chest X-rays at the same time).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You are more than welcome. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.