Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

It is 18 month old small dog but he wont eat any dog food

It is 18 month old small dog but he wont eat any dog food dry or wet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: About a month but his energy level is still very high.
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No but if I feed him cooked chicket he will eat it and he also likes cooked fish.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Angus he he is a Shih Tzu
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No he is full of energy and very alert and playful he is up to date with all of his injections.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Is Angus up-to-date with vaccines, flea, and worming treatment?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
he is

Thank you. And when did he start eating just chicken? Was it after a vet's recommendation (as a bland diet for example for a sensitive tummy)? Has he been like this since he was a puppy?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No he used to eat dog food but over the last few months he has become very choosy someone send keep feeding him dog food and he will eat it when he is hungry enough, but I dont think that is a good thing. He is fit and very playful and enjoys his walks.

I understand. And did he show any gastric signs in the past week? (vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal discomfort, etc)

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No nothing like that.

Thank you. Based on the information that you provided, I am not genuinely concerned about Angus. I strongly believe he is just picky. Whenever given the choice, they will choose the tastier option (which in this case is clearly chicken). The problem that we have is that chicken itself lacks some vital nutrients and a long-term course could deprive him of minerals and vitamins.

What food brand did he use to like in the past?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have tried everything from Freshpet "slice and Serve" to Cesar Classics

I understand and I think this breed can be particularly challenging to "please" when it comes to food.

I think my best recommendation is to stick with a good food brand (I personally like Hills Ideal Ballance), start with the wet one (as more tastier), and wean him off the chicken. We do this in 10% by mixing the chicken with the new food, adding 10% each day (for example Day 1: 90% chicken blended with one tablespoon of the "new wet food". Day 5: 50% chicken, 50% wet food. Day 10: no more chicken, just wet food).

I think if not given the chance, he will eventually eat the dog food (as he will be hungry). And by weaning him gradually, we have a better chance of Angus "not noticing" the transition. The important thing is for you to be perseverent as an owner.

I think my best recommendation is to stick with a good food brand (I personally like Hills Ideal Ballance), start with the wet one (as more tastier), and wean him off the chicken. We do this in 10 days* by mixing the chicken with the new food, adding 10% each day (for example Day 1: 90% chicken blended with one tablespoon of the "new wet food". Day 5: 50% chicken, 50% wet food. Day 10: no more chicken, just wet food).

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.