DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+yrs Exp in vet care. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice
20798050

Does Adaptil using DAP really work to help calm anxious

Does Adaptil using DAP really work to help calm anxious dogs? ... or is it a gimmick?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this anxiety? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: She's a rescue border collie - 18 months. Typically hyper and can be anxious in new situations. We've had her for a week now and she's settled down well mostly but she seems constantly on tenterhooks when we're out and runs off if any new loud noise. We try to stay calm with her and doing various things to desensitized her to Csounds
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with her anxiety?
Customer: Not medically but we try to keep her calm and trying to sensitized her to COMMON sounds - we're wworried about firework season. Other people recommended Adaptil products but seem a bit gimmicky
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Full Not Full but Flossie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think so - she's healthy, loves to play, has lots of exercise with us and loves her food too. Mostly she's perfect and a typical border and her anxiety might just reflect her new confusing situation - but want to know if Adaptil would be good aid alongside other measures.

Hello there. I am Dr.Paul Brazzell, and I will be helping you today.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with your pet; I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you.

Talking by phone allows me to give a more accurate and rapid assessment of the problem. The more information I have, the better the job I can do.

Please let me know when you are ready to begin.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can begin now
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'd rather type than call

Good morning! How are you?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Fine thank you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Rather type - thanks.

Of course. My personal opinion is that this product is great! The objective data in the veterinary literature is that it helps some dogs a lot, some dogs a little, and a few dogs not much at all. But there is no downside to using it. There are different forms of this. One is a heat-activated collar, and the other is a diffuser. I like them both.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for this - that helps me a lot to make a decision; particularly that not a downside to using it. Obviously I'll use alongside other measures to help calm her; and I understand that nothing can work miracles and that BC tend to be a hyper breed anyway

You are so very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I will connect with you tomorrow morning.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

I am here to help. ūüėČ

Dr. Paul Brazzell

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you Paul! You've been very helpful.

My pleasure.