Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I have found a patch of fresh blood in my hamsters cage, it

I have found a patch of fresh blood in my hamsters cage, it was on tissue and about the size of a 50p. He is acting totally normally, begging for treats and running around normally
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about Cage's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Only today, I noticed it half an hour ago, but it has probably been there upto 3 hours It was on a flat surface I have covered with tissue, near his food bowl and water bottle
JA: When was Cage last seen by a vet?
Customer: About a year ago, he has never had anything wrong with him previously
JA: How old is Cage?
Customer: 22 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Don't think so, thank you

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Is he the only hamster? Did he have access to the outside of his cage?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He is on his own, he has not been out of the cage since last week when I trimmed his nails, he does not like being out of his cage or being handled

Thank you. And you are positive there are no open wounds on him? Eating well, full of energy?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No cuts, I have checked all over, it looks like it was mixed with his wee, in his spot he usually wees
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He is just as energetic, running around and in his wheel, start over to me when he hears my voice

Have you changed anything in his diet in the past 24h? Have you introduced any new treats (like cranberry)?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (51P4ZVP)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Nothing new, he had a small bit of potato last night, but he is used to that, and had some cheese last week

Thank you. The reason why I ask this is that the colour of the tissue seems very unusual to be blood. It's very "fuchsia" red, rather than bloody urine/bloody faeces. Based on the information you provided, my best recommendation would be for the little one to get seen by your local vet, in the following 24-48h. I wouldn't consider this an emergency unless he becomes lethargic, hides away, stops eating or there are more than 3 red patches in his cage in a 12h period.

They can get Urinary Tract Infections or haemorrhagic diarrhoea for various reasons and they sometimes need a short course of antibiotics to get over that.

I am happy for you just to monitor him for tonight (unless he deteriorates), but I would recommend giving your local vet a call tomorrow morning to arrange a hands-on examination. Please take these pictures with you to show to the vet as well.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, thank you so much for your help, very useful, have a great evening, I will rate your help now :)

You are more than welcome. Thank you for allowing me to assist you today and for choosing Just Answer.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Kind regards,

Teodora B.

DVM, MRCVS