Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My 8 year old shitzhu has a little bald patch on her head

My 8 year old shitzhu has a little bald patch on her head she’s had it for a few weeks but now it’s got red dots on?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the Shih-Tzu been licking or rubbing the dots?
Customer: no it’s on top of her head so she can’t reach to lick or scratch it
JA: What's the Shih-Tzu's name?
Customer: minnie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no she’s fine otherwise. She got stuck in a hedge and we though it was just down to that but now I’m not so sure?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (T63Z26S)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It isn’t raised its flat

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m sorry I’m unable to answer a call

Sorry to hear of this issue with Minnie. Given that this area is not itchy and has no known cause, I believe that this lesion could indicate a cutaneous (skin) tumour. These can be benign such as a histiocytoma or represent a more concerning malignancy such as a mast cell tumour. I would suggest taking her to your vet next week, they can perform a quick proceedure known as a Fine needle aspirate biopsy, this should help determine the nature of the lesion and help us decide how best to deal with it. If it was to be something more concerning such as a mast cell tumour, then surgical removal is usually advisible.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.