Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a staffie 10 years old who is on cardiosure -2.5mgs

Hi I have a staffie 10 years old who is on cardiosure -2.5mgs twice a day - I've just realised she had 10mgs yesterday by mistake - she hasn't been sick but is off food this morning and is lethargic - but she does sleep a lot normally
JA: Hi there. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the unknown-word seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No she doesn't seem in pain
JA: What's the unknown-word's name and age?
Customer: Shimmer and 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I'll don't think so
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet. I'm just reviewing your question and will get back to you within a couple of minutes.
Sorry to hear Shimmer is not herself today.
Cardisure can be given at a dose range of 0.1 to 0.3 mg/kg every 12 hours.
Assuming she had 5mgs twice yesterday, this would be in the acceptable range if she weighs 17kg or more. If she weighs somewhat less than this, this is a slight overdose.
We know that higher doses can result in nausea and vomiting, so it may well be that she isn't feeling herself today because of the Cardisure.
We should not see any signs of a toxic overdose until 0.6mg/kg or more is ingested every 12 hours, which for the typical Staff weighing 13kg would mean giving 7.8mg in the morning AND 7.8mg in the evening. This would mean 15mg in one day.
I would feed a bland diet of chicken and rice today and you can add warm water to make it more appealing.
You can continue with her medication as normal.
If she develops any more signs or you are concerned, don't hesitate to let me (or her vet) know.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help - is it okay to give her proper dosage today - 2.5 mg now and 2.5 mg in 12 hrs
I would continue the normal dose. It's effects only last 8-12 hours so it would be out of Shimmer's system once 12 hours has passed.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help
No problem at all! All my best to Shimmer (lovely name by the way).

Hello, how is Shimmer doing? Hopefully she is all okay today?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi thank you for asking about Shimmer - she is absolutely fine now and back to normal

Fantastic! Thanks so much for keeping me in the loop. Have a lovely evening.