Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

I believe my dog has eaten a mouse or rat and I am wondering

Good afternoon, I believe my dog has eaten a mouse or rat and I am wondering what I should do
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: I think 11 killos
JA: Has the dog thrown up since eating the mouse?
Customer: No
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly, nearly 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No

Good afternoon, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

Was it a dead mouse or rat that she found, or did she catch it?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She caught it

She must be quick!

There should be no problems with her eating something she has caught. There are some species of tapeworm that can be transferred between rodents and dogs when they are eaten, so I would give her a wormer that does tapeworm in a week or so.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Should I get her checked by the vets in case of rat poisen on the rat or mouse for example

If it is only the one rodent the chances or secondary poisoning from rat bait are very low. Is she was eating lots of rats and mice, then I would say to get her checked out, but if she has only eaten one she should be safe.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there any signs I should look out for in the meantime

Most of the rat poisons used today cause problems with blood clotting. If she had taken a large dose directly, in a few days to a week we might see signs of bleeding - tiny red spots on her gums or lots of bruising on her skin, or swellings where she bumps into things.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, I tired to make her vomit to remove what's left of the mouse/rat to stop more harm being caused should I keep trying to make her vomit or not ?

I would leave her be, sometiems you can cause mroe harm trying to make them sick. I think she will be ok.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, thank you for your time and help, its been reassuring, take care

You are very welcome.

Laura