Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Son's hamster is bleeding from just below her tail. I

Hi, my Son's hamster is bleeding from just below her tail. I noticed it yesterday and it seems to be continuing today.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the hamster bleeding?
Customer: There blood on her fur and when I picked her up there was some blood coming from her anus area. It is not flowing but a drop appeared when I picked her up.
JA: What's the hamster's name and age?
Customer: She is called Minnie and she will be 2 in January
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Minnie?
Customer: She has been well apart from that. But I have noticed that she is sleeping a lot.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply.
I'm sorry to hear Minnie has this issue.
Bleedimg like this is highly abnormal and in conjunction with the lethargy would have me concerned.
Do check for any cuts or infections in that area.
Its also useful to know if the urine or poo is bloody, so have a look before cleaning the cage.
There are lots of possibilities causes for this type of bleeding including an injury, bladder infection, tumour, uterus infection (pyometra)etc
Given the demeanour change, I would seek vet care immediately. While its Sunday, emergency vets will be open.
Hopefully all that is needed is a course of antibiotics, or something equally simply, but it's essential we get to the bottom of things.
She will be checked over and the vet may analyse her urine and/or take an xray of her abdomen.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Not at all. Thank you for the kind accept and all the best to little Minnie.

Hi there, how has Minnie been getting along?