Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Just been to see a puppy daschund for sale and concerned

just been to see a puppy daschund for sale and concerned that it may be ill or have a condition unbeknown ? the passport seems fine but from Hungary and it has white eyebrows and white marks on its head -
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Dachshund's white head? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I don't know it is a potential new family member the lady who bought him was selling him because her son has allergies ??? or at least that's what they say
JA: When did the Dachshund last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: can I upload a picture for you to see ?
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the Dachshund's name?
Customer: Pivodur on his passport
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: currently selling it on pets4homes but is not kc registered. I asked where there pet was registered and it was not as she was trying to get rid of it
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
If the puppy has seen a vet you should be able to request the medical history, to ensure its puppy check was all OK.
What makes you think it has a medical condition?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the puppy was advertised at just 4 months old and has grey all above the top of his eyes and white marks on his head. I currently own a 13 month old daschund same colour since 8 weeks looks nothing like
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the seller has a passport that shows it was born in Hungary and is microchipped and has had jabs but the owner has not registered the dog in the uk apparently purchased in London she lives in rochdale and claims to have only had the dog for 3 days
I understand; you feel as though the circumstance of the sale may be suspicious.
In this case, I would request copies of all paperwork and passport and only agree to purchase after passing a vet check.With regards ***** ***** white is not an accepted kennel club colour. See here:
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search/breeds-a-to-z/breeds/hound/dachshund-miniature-smooth-haired/
So you would not be able to register or breed from the dog to create 'kennel club' puppies. Of course, being accepted by the kennel club is just one aspect and many wonderful dogs are not kennel club dogs.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
can I upload a phot so you can possible establish an age and or possible condition
You should also check the microchip number on an EU database (this can be done easily online) and ensure the vet scans the pup to ensure the chil number matches up.
It is a requirement for the pup to have had a Rabies vaccine before travel, so do also ensure this was done. This must have been given after 12 weeks of age.Feel free to send a photo but age is better determined by looking at teeth at this stage. Similarly, only a limited number of medical issues would be picked up on a photo and a real life vet check would be far more accurate.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Photo
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Photo 2
there are definite white markings.
There is also some slight fur loss on the head which could indicate demodectic mange (a parasitic infection) or ringworm (a fungal infection). I would want this looked into.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok I don't think the dog has been looked after could this be rectified
Could the sparse fur be rectified? Absolutely. We would want to know the diagnosis first (which would mean a vet exam and possibly some checks such as a skin plug or skin scrape) so we can administer the correct treatment.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok I am going to ask for a vets exam and check prior to purchase and hopefully take the little one away from its current owner if poss
Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully all works out well! Any other questions, please just let me know.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you was concerned but will check on the data base re chip what is the address do you know ?
There are a few and it depends which chip company they have used. This one is often successful for me:
https://www.europetnet.com/
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many thanks Linda v much appreciated- after requesting a vet check at my expense and highlighting the possible concerns re fur and my willingness to sort out I got a reply a few hours after our communication saying the dog was sold - ominous
Have given you a 5* rating for time and effort and hope you get used again
Kindest regards. Allison
Oh, that's always slightly suspicious, isn't it?!
I do hope the pup gets a good home but you have done the right thing.
If we are ever concerned a puppy has been farmed or is from a dubious background it is so important to steer clear.
This is not only because they may have behavioural and health issues but also because it would mean we are funding an illicit and harmful trade.
I sense you did the right thing.
Thank you kindly for the review!