Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My vet has a cyst removed on wednesday under gen

hello. my vet has a cyst removed on wednesday under gen anaesthetic. she has been on antibiotics since, and a pain killer called inflacam. Today she had bad diarrhoea with a lot of blood. She has alsovomited once this evening. Shes does not want to eat anything either.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: no
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: lilly 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm just reviewing you question and typing my reply, which will take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi linda, thank you. as it is sunday evening, our vets is closed.

I understand. Hopefully I can help.

I'm sorry to hear Lilly is experiencing these symptoms.

Is she generally a sensitive dog prone to stomach upset?

In the days after the anaesthetic, did she seem ok?

Do you know if the vet has done a blood sample to check her liver and kidney function in the last few months?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
she does have food allergies, but has not had any food that would affect these, nor has she had a chance to eat something she could be allergic too.
she seemed mostly fine after anaesthetic, and generally returned back to herself after a couple of days. we are concerned over the blood.
unsure if the vet has checked liver / kidney function.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
we will call the vets in the morning, but we really need to know if we should go to an emergency/out of hours vet

Ok, thank you.

Blood in the poo, in her case, could be caused by a few things including:

• Ulcers. Medication such as Inflacam can be the cause.
  • Stress leading to colitis (gut inflammation). We would typically see this in the days after the procedure but it could still be possible now
  • Exacerbated liver or kidney disease (though if she is not showing signs of these, this is less likely).
  • An infection, perhaps picked up at the vets
  • A toxicity, if she has managed to eat something she shouldn't without you realising

( 1 of 2 ) Typing...

The main risks would be significant blood loss leading to shock and anaemia, dehydration and being in pain.

I would want to ensure her gums are nice and pink and wet.

She should also be happy, sociable and playful.

We should be able to tempt her with some extra tasty food such as warm chicken.

If not, I wouldn't hesitate to bring her to an emergency vet. This is the kind of case they would see frequently.

They will check her over and may run some tests such as a blood test to check for infection and assess her red blood cell levels.

Treatment may consist of:

• Ant-acids
  • Pain relief (that is different to the one she has)
  • Antibiotics
  • Fluid therapy

It is likely you will be asked to stop the Inflacam, though this should be discussed with Lilly's primary vet. I would certainly hold off on any further doses for now.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Not at all.

Please do feel welcome to keep me updated. This window will stay open for at least a few more days.

Wishing Lilly a very speedy recovery.

Hi there, how is Lilly getting on today?