Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I'm looking after a friends dog and he's chewed each side of

Customer Question

I'm looking after a friends dog and he's chewed each side of his buttocks and under his tail. I've bought a cone sk he leaves it. But worried about him he's off his food and pooing in the house
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: Low energy :crying: and hasnt eaten much all week i e had him. Hes enjoyed chicken and ham but won't eat his food and when we hand fed him he was sick
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Ues Yes
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey and I dont know his breed or age . Think he's an older dog tho . The family come back tonight but I can't leave him like this
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No just he's eaten the sides and is red raw
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 19 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.This could be a few things including a flea allergy, anal gland impaction, joint related pain or atopic dermatitis.It's difficult without knowing his age/breed or history.Does he seem generally itchy?
Does he scoot his bum on the ground?
Is he stiff or slow when getting about?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I've seen him rub his bum on the floor. And his anal gland seems swollen. The owners kid said he has done this before but not this bad . I tried to send a pic over to u but I couldn't. The family will be back tonight. But iver the last 2 days its extremely sore looking . His energy is v low but had the runs over the week too
In that case, this is likely an anal gland impaction and abscess.
He needs to have the glands expressed by a vet and will then require a course of antibiotics and pain relief.
The medicine should also help with the skin which he has irritated due to the chewing. You can bathe it with saline or dilute Hibiscrub and continue protecting it with that buster collar.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hes a Spanish water dog and he's 9
Ok sure. As I say, with infected anal glands he needs to see a vet to express the liquid that is stuck and start him on prescription medicine.
Hopefully we can get him feeling better soon :)