RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My daughters hamsters teeth look thick at the top and broke,

Customer Question

My daughters hamsters teeth look thick at the top and broke
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the hamster's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I noticed yesterday that she looked like one of her teeth was hanging out but today it looks like a teeth are thick at the top she is happy enough and eating but there definitely not right
JA: The Expert can shed more light on dental procedures and their possible side effects. What's the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Patch and 1 year 7 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 22 days ago.

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear you are having some problems with Patch. Hamsters can frequently break their teeth, usually on the bars of the cage if they are gnawing. Are you able to attach a photo of the teeth? it may well be that she has snapped her incisors which is not too much of a concern as they do continue growing and should grow in. However if there are any areas which are loose or abnormal this will be painful for her to eat so should be burred/removed by a vet. I would not recommend attempting to clip the teeth your self as this can cause breaking and further trauma.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
This is the best pic I can get and she wriggles
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Can you see them?

Thank you for the picture,

It is quite hard to see but the incisors definitely look abnormal. I would recommend that you take her for a check at the vet as she may need these trimmed.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I’ve just looked again there not broke but it looks as if something is going cross them

It may be part of the broken tooth wedged in between the two incisors or it may be that one is growing in an abnormal direction and twisting round. I would still advise she is seen.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The sad thing is I rang and there not interested as with what’s going on they said there not seeing new patients have a feeler it’s because she is a hamster
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
feeling

Do you have any other vets nearby that can see her? Do you have any other pets that are registered at a vet? It is quite an urgent issue because it could start to affect her ability to eat or if growing abnormally they can grow into the mouth and cause ulceration and bleeding. Perhaps if you explain that to them they may be able to see her? I would advise trying a few different vets.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I will phone them again in the morning and explain to them I know it’s serious my daughter loves her I hope I can get it sorted