RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

We have a dog about 4 years old she is rescue from Greece.

Customer Question

Hi we have a dog about 4 years old she is rescue from Greece. We are registered with pets4you. The last week she has gone from eating so well to not wanting to eat at all. I bought some probiotic from our vet 4 days ago as she had had gastric entoritis 3 months ago and was treated by our vets with the probiotic and antibiotics. She also had blood tests that came back with every thing ok and was just diagnosed with the gastric entoritis. We are worried because she won't eat and as we are not working due to covid we don't have the money to pay for her treatment until we get paid at the end of the month. This is a terrible position to be in we love her so much and are so very worried. We just need to know if there is anyone who could help us.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: She does sleep on and off through the day but when we say come on let's go for a walk she jumps up straight away and is full of energy. We have checked her poo, it was a little soft no blood or anything else but no runs or sickness
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No we have felt her Tommy and around her body and we have tried to look in her mouth but we can't see anything, the only thing is normally if we give her one of her small biscuits she will chew it but there's no interest at all
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Hallie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: We WOUNDERED if it has anything to do with our cat, we've had her nearly 16 years and she dos hiss at Hallie some times we think it's because she's been the only one all them years and she feels jealous. Could that be putting Hallie of her food even though we have had her here for 1 year now.
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 25 days ago.

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with Hallie. I understand it can be worrying and this is a difficult situation for everyone at the moment. I think it is unlikely to be anything to do with your cat, as she has been there for around one year we would not expect this to cause a sudden change in appetite. Has she had any vomiting or diarrhoea? There are so many different causes of inappetance in dogs. It is good that she had some blood tests which all seemed normal. Unfortunately she does really need a vet examination to be able to diagnose what is going on with her. Probiotics can be used and you can also offer her some bland food such as chicken/scrambled eggs/white fish. This will hopefully tempt her to eat. Otherwise, it depends on the underlying cause as to what treatment she will need.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
We have tried her with chicken and eggs which she did eat the eggs yesturday but won't entertain any thing else

I would recommend mixing this with her biscuits (can mash these up together) to try and encourage her to eat more.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No we just don't have the money at the moment. She won't eat biscuits we tried her for months