Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 11 week old puppy. She has been vomiting and has

Customer Question

Hi I have a 11 week old puppy. She has been vomiting and has diarrhoea. This has been going on since 9pm probably every 45 minutes. Diarrhoea is now pure water. I’m wondering if I should call a vet or not? Thanks
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: First vomit was food last time was more brown liquid not foamy
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: she was looked after by a family friend today so they could have given her something that isn’t what she normally has
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: olive
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: 11 week old whippet. Always been healthy never had a problem. She would never wake normally in night and never messes.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I'm sorry you are experiencing this problem, but I hope I can help you today.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Did Olive eat anything unusual?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Not to my knowledge but a family friend looked after her today. She is normally raw fed and has never had an upset stomach. They did say she had a chew which I could see in her vomit. Apart from that I don’t know if she ate anything else without asking

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

I am sorry to hear about Olive's problem, I know that you must be very concerned. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

But first, you should be aware that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Olive over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting and diarrhea in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 6 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day, feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled eggs, etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Alternatively consider a probiotic such as Forti Flora which can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

Of course, if other symptoms occur and any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your local vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Olive's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr. Scott
Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.