BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  In small animal practice since 2003
24117175

My 15 year old JAck Russell has some kind of growth on her

Customer Question

Hello, my 15 year old JAck Russell has some kind of growth on her thigh ☹️☹️
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the Jack Russell Terrier had this growth?
Customer: Today
JA: What's the Jack Russell Terrier's name?
Customer: Spooks
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she is on pain medication as well as steroids. She got couple times recently kidney infection as had blood on the urine, she is getting a bit old and little deaf and not seeing as well as she use to
Expert:  BestFriendsVet replied 19 days ago.
YOU MAY DISREGARD THE PHONE CALL OPTION** Hi, it's Dr. Vaino with Just Answer! I have almost 30 years of experience in veterinary medicine, and I'm happy to help you today. ~Please pardon any typos, as this is talk-to-text~ I'm sorry to hear this about your pet. ***AGAIN, YOU MAY DISREGARD THE SYSTEM-GENERATED PHONE CALL OPTION*** if you wish. If you will note, before we begin, I am prohibited by state law from prescribing Rx items on this platform (we can discuss them, but I can't call them into a pharmacy for you). I am here to answer questions and provide general medical advice only. Please let me know if this arrangement will be acceptable before we continue. Thanks so much!
Please send a clear picture
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (6QV4P7M)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (SV2QTGM)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We are so worried about her ☹️
Thank you. So, this looks pretty small. I have to say that, at this time, I'm not terribly worried about it. Having said that, things that are cancerous tend to grow really big, really fast. Things that are non-cancerous tend to just sort of hang out and grow very slowly over time. So, if in a month's time it's doubled in size, that would be a bad sign.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What do we need to do at the moment?
If you want to know what it is now, the only way to know that would be to have it surgically removed, preserved in formalin, and sent off to eppes ologist so that they can look at the tissue microscopically and give a description of what they see.
sent off to a pathologist
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She is quite shook and wondering will she be able foe it
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She already barely moving poor girl
The only way to determine if she would be a candidate for anesthesia would be through physical exam and diagnostic testing, such as chest x-rays and or blood work to check for any underlying illness
Here is my short list of indications when deciding whether or not to go to ER: unresponsiveness, gums that are not nice bright carnation pink, sudden and prolonged inability to stand or walk, pain when pressing on abdomen from both sides, greater than 30 respirations per minute for prolonged periods of time, respiratory distress, vomiting more than 2x per hour for several consecutive hours, repeatedly trying to vomit but nothing is coming up, diarrhea that is mostly blood, complete inability to urinate, prolonged temperature over 103°F, swollen face/throat (allergic reaction) that is progressive and not responsive to benadryl, known toxin ingestion, seizures in non-epileptic animals, or cluster seizures, and vocalizing in pain.
I hope you have found my advice useful. If you liked my service, please feel free to REQUEST DR. VAINO in the future! I would appreciate it if you'd be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen or clicking on the green light below the chat box (if using SMS, JustAnswer will send a separate text asking for your rating). Such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers, and it is part of how I receive compensation from this website. Rating me now does not close your question; it stays open for 7 days. Please bookmark this page, and we can continue here until you are satisfied! Simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks~