Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We think my dog had allergies and are awaiting test results.

Customer Question

Hi we think my dog had allergies and are awaiting test results. His fur usually white around his neck is red and tiny patches had appeared. His neck is almost purple when wet. Usually he would run to us for breakfast or dinner and now he is walking away and eating it hours later when he is hungry. However he will eat if I hand feed it to him!
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the dog been licking or rubbing the affected skin?
Customer: Licks feet and sometimes tries to scratch side of neck
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Axel age 1
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Male and currently unneutered
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (2T11Z57)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Picture for your reference
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He is fed a raw diet
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Poo fine and all other behaviours are normal
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply
I'm sorry to hear Axel has been having this issue. Its fantastic you are so on the ball and have already done allergy tests. Hopefully this provides us with answers we can work with to help his skin long term.
Many dogs present with allergies for the first time at this age and they can be to food, the environment or both.
Often, the itching leads to scratching and chewing and licking. Saliva from the mouth can cause the fur to discolour and go orange or brown. This is temporary and is called Saliva Staining.
Another consideration would be a yeast overgrowth. Malassezia in particular is renowned for causing the type of skin shown in the photo you sent.
A medicated wash such as Malaseb can be used to wash the skin and fur and reduce the yeast and bacteria levels.
The fact he is still eating is reassuring and it may be that he is simply feeling a bit out of sorts and uncomfortable due to the skin issues.
As he is currently itchy, I would consider some prescription anti itch medicine such as Apoquel to break the itch scratch cycle.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Hello.

Thank you for your reply. This morning he is now refusing to eat by me feeding him and seems more lethargic. He cannot reach the area the rash is to discolour from saliva. And the itching is not very often to be honest.

I had been using hydroquartizone medicated spray twice a day now for a few days and it has improved the rash lots but I am worried that this perhaps is more than an allergy now and could be a parasite or skin condition.

It is likely to be a few weeks until we receive the allergy test results and in the meantime I now wash him once a week with a PH neutral shampoo. Would you recommend using malaseb instead.

On another note he also has salmon oil in his food and the last 2 days I have been giving him supplements for his coat

Is there any further info you would need from me?

If it is not saliva staining, then a yeast overgrowth would be the most likely.
Absolutely, allergies are just one possibility and if we haven't run the more basic skin tests such as skin scrapes and swabs to rule out parasites and infections then this must be done. Vets should usually do these before running the more expensive allergy tests.
Yes, Malaseb would be advised.
The supplements may we help and shouldn't do any harm.For now, I would advise a vet check given his recent appetite decrease as they can check him over and also run those more basic skin tests. They can ensure he isn't dehydrated and that we aren't missing a cause for his symptoms not related to his skin e.g. an infected tooth, ear infection or stomach ache that is making him poorly.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Thank you I really appreciate your input.

Are you able to give me an online prescription for the masaleb as all the online vets require this

Very happy to help.
Unfortunately online vets are not able to dispense prescriptions, it must be a vet who has seen Axel.
You could ask his vet who may well be happy to do so given his current skin issues.
Alternatively, you can use Hibiscrub from the chemist and dilute it 1:10. You lather it on the affected area for 5 minutes and then rinse and dry. This can be done a couple of times a week.