Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is registered with pdsa Wolverhampton we have loads of

Customer Question

He is registered with pdsa Wolverhampton we have loads of problems with him he won't eat drinks a lot and sleeps a lot. He is a cavalier and is 5.i have tried every thing.thanks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cavalier King charles
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Cavalier King Charles. What is the Cavalier King Charles's name and age?
Customer: Charlie age 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: Pdsa put him on heart and kidney food doesn't want to know..
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with Charlie.

Given they changed his diet, can I confirm he has got both heart and kidney disease?

What tests has he had so far e.g. urine test, blood test, heart scan etc?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
urine and blood test done.

And what were the results?

Do you have a print out you could attach?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They just said he is a very poorly dog and said he had got about three months.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No I haven't and can't pay any more.

I'm very sorry to hear this, that must have been such a shock.

It is difficult for me to comment without knowing his results.

Were you wanting a second opinion or wondering how to improve his day to day life?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice. Please do feel free to continue chatting so I can help Charlie the best I can.I presume he has been diagnosed with both kidney and heart disease?
Many King Charles' dogs have mitral valve disease which causes a heart murmur and can make then pant, lethargic and give then a cough.
If he is on heart medicine such as diuretics, this will make him thirsty and urinate more.
Similarly, if he has kidney disease, this causes and excess thirst and can also lead to nausea, reduced appetite, vomiting and weight loss.
If he has both of these conditions, sadly they do not have a cure and are both progressive, meaning they worsen over time.
Medication such as diuretics, ace inhibitors etc. can help improve quality of life.
If he is refusing food we may consider appetite stimulants, anti nausea medicine and tasty food like chicken and rice.