Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

Bear is a 3 and a half year old cockapoo male who has always

Customer Question

Bear is a 3 and a half year old cockapoo male who has always seemed a loving and loyal dog however I am noticing increased food and toy aggression,today bear bit my wife on the arm after she tried to retrieve a slipper he had taken. Bear has always been left alone to eat his main meal as he growls and snaps if you are too near to his bowl. I have always given him treats without a problem but he has snapped at my wife while she has given him treats. Any advice please would be appreciated.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this increase in the Cockapoo's appetite? Any changes in her weight?
Customer: his weight has been stable 11/12 kg for some time I would say his appetite has increased
JA: What's the Cockapoo's name?
Customer: bear
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he just seems a loving dog but is so protective of food and toys, he bit me once for touching his tail and bit Claudia today for trying to retrieve her slipper in exchange for a treat
Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

Is Bear neutered?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No he isnt
Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

I understand. And is he the only pet in the household?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No thank you we are pensioners and cannot afford that
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No we have a cat and until recently had another dog
Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

Sorry, please ignore that message: the system sends it automatically. I am happy if we continue our conversation online as a chat.

Have you had him since he was a puppy?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
since a pup
Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for this information. It's quite a difficult situation to be honest, as there might be a few factors contributing to this behaviour change. I am not sure castration would help much (will definitely take the testosterone away and make him a bit calmer, but if he's beginning to show signs of aggression, that would need a behaviourist work-up). There could also be a competition between all the pets in the household, and him starting to take the "alpha role"...

Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

My best recommendation would definitely be gradual desensitising based on positive reinforcement. And the best one to guide you throughout this process would be a behaviourist.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

Your local vet should be able to recommend you a few contacts.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

Something else that we could try, if you don't plan to neuter him, would be a Superlorin Implant (which achieves temporary castration) to see if that helps with his behaviour. You should be able to get that done at your local vet as well.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Expert:  Teodora B replied 20 days ago.

You are more than welcome. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.