Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is not hes self, Hes has started to poo on the floor

Customer Question

My cat is not hes self
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Hes has started to poo on the floor and now he don't want to get out of hes bed and seems withdrawn
JA: Does the cat do this all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: Its becoming more that hes pooing in the house
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bernie and two There is not a very nice cat in my street which keeps on fighting with him i don't know if that has something to do with it
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Hes not really eating a lot
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 25 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.
How long has this been going on?
Is he neutered?
Has he lost any weight?
Finally, is the stool solid or loose?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
About 2 weeks now and yeah he is neutered no weight loss and the stools are soild
Thank you very much for this additional information.
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.
Pooing outside of the tray can have several causes including stress/anxiety.When was he last checked over by a vet?
Will he play or socialise with you these last few days?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 23 days ago.

Hi there. Without any further information it is difficult for me to provide the best answer, though I will certainly still try to help.

His symptoms of lethargy, reduced appetite and pooing outside of the tray would not be specific to any one issue and could have multiple causes including:

• Stress
  • A food allergy or sensitivity
  • Inflammatory Bowel Disease
  • Parasites
  • Etc

If he has not had a recent vet check, that would be the first step. We may also wish to have his stool analysed.

If he is the only cat in the home he should have 2 trays which are in quiet areas of the home and cleaned regularly. Cats often won't use a tray that has waste in it. Try different litters, as some cats are fussy about the ones used.

Monitor his weight to ensure he is not losing any.

Ensure he is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.

You may also wish to try a hypoallergenic or sensitivity diet.

To reduce the risk of fights with the other cat, consider keeping him indoors when that cat is out. If it is a stray/feral, you should be able to contact a charity such as the RSPCA who could help him. They often neuter these 'problem' cats and he may even be re-homeable. If he already has a home, consider discussing the issue with his owner and suggesting he is kept in at certain times so your cat (and likely others on the street!) have a chance to get some fresh air and exercise without being bullied.

I hope this helps!