Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Dog rotweiller pup. I think she may have possibly swallowed

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog rotweiller pup. I think she may have possibly swallowed a tiny bit of glass but I can’t be sure
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the glass did the puppy eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: she’s 9.5 weeks old maybe 10
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since then?
Customer: shes about 3/3,5 kg she would have eaten hardly any I have the remaining pieces and I’d hoovered up no she hasn’t
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: polly
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no I don’t think so
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I'm sorry you are experiencing this problem, but I hope I can help you today.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
About 10minutes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t even know if she swallowed anything
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I thought I’d picked every bit up
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But obvs not

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I immediately put my fingers in her mouth and pulled out a small but
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Bit*

I am sorry to hear about Polly's problem, I know that you must be very concerned. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

The situation is that dogs are very prone to swallowing various objects but I can tell you that I have known sharp objects like glass or nails pass straight through a dog's intestinal tract without problem before this, however, as you are aware there is an obvious danger. Here is some general advice based on my previous experience:

1. Do not try to make Polly sick to recover the object as sharp objects like glass can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.

2. Feed her some bread { If she will take it } in the hope that this will form around and cushion the glass object as it passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be very effective in helping protect your dog's intestinal tract.

3. However be aware that though that there is a potential for a problem to occur here due to damage to the intestinal tract so monitor your dog for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain, or straining, and if such occur contact your vet without delay. That said in my experience surprisingly most dogs do seem to get away with these sorts of incidents and the fact it was only a small fragment is very much in your favor.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Polly's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott
Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you kindly sir!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr. Scott